Snow on driveways can confuse drivers and might cause accidents. Installing a snow fence can reduce the chance of it. A temporary snow fence works as a barrier that forces snow to accumulate according to your wish instead of around the house. Heavy duty snow fencing is suitable for any kind of ground. It can be placed on top of the ground, in the ground, or on top of other structures. This type of snow fence that has been designed to withstand extreme weather conditions and heavy loads. It can be used to protect any kind of surface from heavy snow and ice accumulation.
Plastic snow fencing is a great investment for people who live in areas that get heavy snowfall. These fences are light, durable, and easy to install. They can be put up in just a few hours by one person without the use of any tools.
The plastic snow fencing is also very attractive and will look good on your property all year round. This type of fence is often used by homeowners who have a pool or pond on their property because it will keep animals away from the water source and make it safer for kids to play near the water.
More than 110 million people — a third of the U.S. population — are under winter-weather alerts that stretch across 37 states, according to CNN, which also noted that parts of the Midwest and Plains will have their coldest Christmas in 40 years.
Things to Consider before Buying Plastic Snow Fence
Material: snow fence has to hold snow so that it does not come to your territory. If the material is heavy duty, it would last longer than normal plastic snow fences. Buy the one that is resistant to moisture rust and keep the fence flexible for many years and UV ray resistant.
Size: it is a very important issue to think of before purchasing a snow fence. Every area faces different snowfall every year. If your area is a red zone area, you should buy a snow fence with the highest height.
Reusable: it should be a reusable product. So that you can use it in the upcoming winter and protect yourself and your area from snow.
Easy Installation and Store: check if our chosen plastic snow fence is easy to install/ uninstall or not. When winter is gone you need to uninstall it and store it in a safe place.
Color: it would be a wise decision if you buy the one with vibrant color so that it can be visible from distance.
How do you install plastic snow fence?
According to USnetting.com & barriermesh.com , the below snow fence installation method has been briefed and simplified.
Step 1: Making a little bit of research on how you do your work
- First consider the direction of the wind: This data can be collated from local weather stations. Point to be noted, Snow fence should be installed straight/at 90-degree angle at the surface to the wind direction for optimum drift control.
- Transport trend of snow: Point to note, in more clearer way, wind with a speed less than 20 mph blow 90% of the snow below 4ft. And in case of 45 mph of wind, instead of 90% the trend replaces to 70% of snow remain below 4ft.
- Height of the Fence: fence should be 6 inch apart from the ground. The higher the fence will be, the further away the drift of the fence will be.
Step 2: Preparing Necessary Items to install the Plastic Snow Fence
- Plastic snow fence with 40%-50% gaps/porosity in the fence.
- Zip Ties with which is 10 inches or around.
- Zip Tie cutter
- T Post with at least 6 Feet is recommended.
- IF any area faces heavy wind and snow, then to finish up and prevent sagging, support wires would be necessary.
Step 3: Install the Fence in Real-time
- Find where your fence should be directed or the direction of the fence plays a vital role create a great fence.
- T Post needs to be in the ground by at least 1.5 inch. Each post can be 8 feet apart.
- Use the cable ties to attach the end side of Fences with the T Posts.
- Temporary plastic snow fence should 6 inch above the ground. Maintain it at all circumstances.
Note: The higher the fence will be, the further the snowdrift will start. If the fence touches the ground, it would minimize the actual application of the snow fence. Periodic maintenance is necessary to check the fence anchoring system and damage.
List of 8 Best Plastic Snow Fence
Editor's Ranking Editor's Choice Editor's Rating Instant Link 1 Tenax Multi-Purpose Net ✪✪✪✪✪ Buy At Amazon 2 BISupply Plastic Fencing Roll ✪✪✪✪✪ Buy At Amazon 3 Feather & Bone Hardware ✪✪✪✪✪ Buy At Amazon 4 Abba Patio Snow Fence ✪✪✪✪✪ Buy At Amazon 5 ALEKO Multi Purpose Safety Snow Fence ✪✪✪✪☆ Buy At Amazon 6 Ez4garden Multi Purpose Snow Fencing Net ✪✪✪✪☆ Buy At Amazon 7 Flanders Plastic Snow Fence ✪✪✪✪☆ Buy At Petshop USA 8 Midwest Green Safety Fence ✪✪✪☆☆ Check UnbeatableSale
Disclaimer: Some of the links are affiliated and Editor earns commission from verified purchase
1. Tenax Multi-Purpose Plastic Snow Fence
|Comes in||4 sizes and one color (Black) and|
|Mesh Size||Mesh .70″X.98″|
4 different sizes are available.( 2’x 25’, 3’x25’, 3’x50’, 4’x50’)
What We Liked:
- Made of polypropylene
- Manufactured in USA
- Can be used in different projects
- Rigid and flexible
- Will not rust
- Becomes invisible
- Doesn’t come with vibrant color.
- Doesn’t stretch much, stretching can result in breaking.
Tenax is a multi-purpose net. That means you can use it as a plastic snow fence as well as in your balcony to protect your pets from going outside. This is UV stabilized which never rust or rot. Mesh size is 1 inch.
2. BISupply Plastic Fencing Roll
it comes in 2 visible vibrant colors; green and orange.
What We Liked
- Can be used in construction zones and worksites, gardens and obviously for snow fencing etc.
- Made of high- density polyethylene plastic
- Easy installation
- Manufacturer warranty against defects in materials and workmanship
- Resistant to chemicals, moisture, corrosion and UV rays
- Only 2 sizes are available
- Made of thin plastic
though the material is thin, it can serve different purposes. It is both easy to install and take off and store it. You can use it for several years. The vibrant color creates a visual barrier.
3. Feather & Bone Hardware Extra Strength Mesh Snow Fencing
- A full package that includes everything, you don’t need to buy each item separately.
- Come along zip ties helps easy installation.
- 45 inch x 100 feet fence can meet you need to cover massive ground or plantation.
What We Liked:
- 25 stakes 11 mm durable steel coated with plastic to resist rust and longevity stakes works awesome as the posts.
- UV Resistant material to put up with any weather condition.
- 100 zip ties can meet your required installation tools. So far you will be needing a zip tie cutter to look like smoother.
- Works for versatile use, from crowd control to gardening or safety fencing to snow fencing purpose, anything you can think of.
- Comes only in green.
- Shipment takes time.
- Additionally, you may need zip tie cutter and a rubber mallet to put this stakes in to the ground.
it is all in one package and would be a great buy just in case if you already don’t have required tool to install it. If you are very new installing a safety snow fence, then it would be your right choice to begin with and it is affordable to in comparison to other brands.
4. Abba Patio Snow Fence/Plastic Safety Fence Roll
The Abba Patio Snow Fence is made from recyclable plastic material.
What We Liked:
- Can be used for different functions
- This is lightweight but heavy duty that keeps it sturdy.
- Installing is super easy
- Rust resistant and corrosion free
- UV and fade resistant
- The color dark green is not highly visible.
- Only 2 sizes available. (2’x 25’, 4’x 100’ feet)
this is a multipurpose temporary fence at such a cheap price. This is made of high-density polyethylene (HDPE) that is resistant to chemicals, moisture, and corrosion. You can store it and use it again and again. The color will not fade over time.
More Buying Options From Abba Patio
|Options||Details Buying Links|
2 ft. H x 50 ft. W Snow Fencing
4ft. H x 100 ft. W Patio Guardian
5. ALEKO Multi Purpose Safety Snow Fence
the color orange is so vibrant that it can be highly visible from far away. It will do the best job in traffic controlling.
What We Liked:
- Made of durable, high-density PVC
- Can be re-used several times.
- Imported from the USA
- Resistant to temperature, weather, and corrosion
- Easy to install and relocate.
- Only one size (4x 100 feet)
ALEKO can be used for both home and professional use. This can be used for crowd control, traffic control, construction sites, sporting events, road work, garden and so on. The bright orange color is highly visible. 2 x 3.5 inch mesh openings allow air flow.
6. Ez4garden Multi Purpose Snow Fencing Net
5 different sizes to choose from according to your need. (3.3×163.3ft, 4x25ft, 4x50ft, 4x100ft, 4×163.3ft)
What We Liked:
- Comes with cable ties
- Made of high quality polyethylene material
- Can be used for several purposes.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble
- Can be used repeatedly
- Pull open is not going to be easy
- Not budget-friendly
This is a heavy duty temporary fence that can fulfill your expectation. It is environment friendly and will not rust and serve you for a long time. Though the price is higher than other temporary fences, you still will be satisfied with it.
7. Flanders Orange Safety Fence
- 4 feet by 100 inch in height
What We Liked:
- comes in small size which meets residential purposes.
- Orange color is highly visible
- Easy to install
- Highly affordable
- Stronger and stretchable
- No other color is available for this brand
- May not last long as it is given
8 feet long fence may not address all the needs, so it is better you order more.
8. Midwest Air Tech Green Snow fence
- 36-inch height and 25 feet long safety fence
What We Liked:
- this mid-size meets requirements to cover a mid size landscape.
- green fence blends with mundane white snow
- remains highly visible
not heavy-duty and lightweight
plastic netting has 1.25′ x 1′ mesh which can meet small gardening to other fencing needs.
Types of Snow Fencing
Wooden Fence: There are different materials available in snow fences. Wood fence is sturdy and presents an aesthetic look, it is not easy to install. Some say that wooden fences lose their effectiveness within several years; they might rot and sag.
Metal Fence: On the other hand, a metal snow fence needs the most maintenance since they might get rust. In addition, installing and maintaining these fence can be very hardworking and expensive.
Plastic Snow fencing: However, a plastic snow fence is easy to install and no chance of rotting. Moreover, it does not require any maintenance.
Plastic Picket Fencing: Some kind of plastic fencing but looks more like wood but stays more than temporary fencing and creates a great barrier.
What is the purpose of a snow fence?
Answer: Snow fencing reduces the wind speed and causes most blowing snow to fall behind the barrier. When the snow is at rest, the particles freeze together and make smooth snow drift. They are primarily employed to minimize the amount of snowdrift on roadways and railways.
How Much Does it Cost and What is the Payback Period of Snow Fence Investments?
Snow fences are a great investment for any property owner who wants to protect their land from snow and ice damage. The cost of the investment is usually based on the length of fence needed, with the average price being around $2-$4 per linear foot. The payback period for this type of investment is typically less than one year.
What is temporary fencing suited for?
Answer: temporary fences can be used as snow fences, in construction sites, fire damaged sites, deer block, dog or chicken fence, in gardens and for more purposes.
Can it be trimmed with regular scissors?
Answer: definitely you can cut or trim it with just a simple scissor according to your need.
How can I install a snow fence?
Answer: for a 4’ snow fence you will require 8’ T post. And yes T post, does not use U post for installation. You should space your posts 8-12 feet apart. After that, line up your snow fence on the post and remember to leave at least 5” gap between ground and bottom of the fence. Now fix and tighten the snow fence with the help of cable ties.
Why do you put a temporary plastic fence?
In winter sometimes it is impossible to shovel snow every time. There helps this temporary fence. It helps direct snow away and saves your property from snow. You can place a snow fence wherever you want to redirect snow.
It can keep roads and driveways clear. People of rural areas, farmers can be benefited from it since safety snow fence is a long-term investment. The only rule of installing a temporary snow fence is to place the fence 35 times further away than the fence height. So if your fence is six feet tall, it needs to be 210 feet away from the spot you wish to protect.