The bark of tree, has a super key role, a thin layer that lies beneath the tree bark (called Cambium) transports minerals to from bark to the leaves and roots of a tree. For this, it is very important to protect the bark for saving the tree. Tree trunk protectors or best tree guards protect trees from animals, sun damage, and mechanical damage.
Sometimes, careless use of weed trimmers or mowers can cause damage to the tree trunk and sometimes we intend not to think of any which results in vain for our effort to grow our own world of green.
What We don’t know About Tree Bark Protector?
We highly appreciate one article from treeplan.com, according to them, not all tree guards serve the same purpose. Tree wrappings or trees wrapped in plastic tubes can cause several damages if not properly applied and uninstalled.
Tree wraps don’t grow with the tree, isn’t it obvious? That leaves marks and causes a lack of its main lifeline which is sunlight (if not removed in time) and traps so much moisture, which damages the bark instead of protecting it.
According to extension note of lrconline.com from ontario, tree guards can protect tree barks from the weather (such as cracks in the bark and cambium (The Trunk-Para C)), animals (during winter when food got scarce (voles, mice, and rabbits start feeding a strip of a tree from the bark which usually occurs 30 centimeters of the ground).
This girdling can kill the tree eventually And finally from equipment like lawnmowers, weed trimmers and other equipment can damage the tree.
If you compare the price, you may find the tree wraps are way too cheaper. Therefore, in terms of comparison, tree wraps can beat the price in comparison to plastic bark protectors.
In addition to that, these wraps would be way easier to install and takes lesser time.
From our point of view, we are against plastic white wraps since these can cause serious damages- such as it can deter insects which is a great symbiosis of a tree, traps moisture, leaves marks, and most importantly blocks sunshine that eventually chokes that tree to death.
List of Best Tree Guards
Editor's Ranking Editor's Choice Editor's Rating Instant Link 1 Dimex EasyFlex ✪✪✪✪✪ Buy At Amazon 2 A.M. Leonard Rigid Plastic Mesh ✪✪✪✪✪ Buy At Amazon 3 SKOOLIX Plastic Tree ✪✪✪✪☆ Buy At Amazon 4 Erva Bunny Barricades ✪✪✪✪☆ Buy At Amazon 5 One Stop Outdoor Plastic Tree ✪✪✪✪☆ Buy At Amazon 6 Amgate Tree Trunk Protectors ✪✪✪✪☆ Buy At Amazon 7 Jiggly Greenhouse Store ✪✪✪✪☆ Buy At Amazon
Disclaimer: This is an Amazon Affiliate article. Editor Earns commission based on your purchase which involves no additional cost to the visitor.
1. Dimex Tree Trunk Protectors
2 or more coils can be connected with expansion tab that will create customized protection to your trees.
What We Liked
- Color: the grey color of it gets blended with the color of most tree barks.
- Design: the slotted design it allows plenty of air circulation that keeps tree healthy and it also prevents bark rotting. The sturdy round coil design helps to support itself in different weather conditions.
- Material: It is made of 100% recycled materials.
- Adjustable size
- Safe for your tree
- It grows with your tree
- Small in size
it comes with 6 packs of 9 inch tall trunk protector coils, 12 inches wide with a 4-inch diameter. It is recommended to those, who want tree protectors for short trees. And who wants to protect their tree as well as maintain the natural beauty.
2. A.M. Leonard Rigid Plastic Mesh Tree Bark Protector
it is 3 feet tall and 4 inch in width.
What We Liked
- Design: the open unique design of it allows trees to breathe preventing moisture build up.
- Material: this is made of high density polyethylene that makes it so durable. This resists mower or other equipment damage.
- Super easy installation
- Heavy duty
- No latch for connecting two ends.
it is best for small trees. Though it is tall in size, but you can it with normal kitchen scissors according o your desired size. It would help you to protect your tree from animals like deer.
3. SKOOLIX Plastic Tree Trunk Protector
made of standard plastic material that expands with tree growth and does not lose its shape even in the heat of the sun.
What We Liked
- Multi Purpose: though it is made for tree trunks but can also be used for other purposes. Such as, basket ball poles, lamp posts and more.
- Flexible design: each tree protector can be connected with each other. You can even re use them or take them apart and store them easily.
- Easy installation
- Super sturdy
- Imported from USA
- No instruction
the package contains 6 trunk protectors and the individual unit is 8 inches tall and 4 inches wide with a 4 inches diameter. It is recommended to those who want a flexible tree trunk protector with multi purposes.
4. Erva Bunny Barricades As Best Tree Guards
it is made extremely durable and sturdy with four anchoric pegs for locking down that keep each unit secured in the soil.
What We Liked
- Money Back Guarantee: if you are not satisfied with their product they offer you to give your money back without asking any question. Within 30 days.
- Easy Installation: it is so easy to install. Just wrap Erva’s bunny barricade around the base of your plant and fill with mulch.
- Connectable: you can connect 2 or more barricades together for larger plant.
- Easy to assemble
- Made of galvanized steel
- premium pricing for premium service
specifically they are made for protecting your lilies, roses, tulips, sunflowers and also a great way to protect beans, lettuce, young seedlings, and other veggies from pesky bunnies. But you can use it for big trees as well. It has easy to connect fingers that keep the cage secured.
5. One Stop Outdoor Best Tree Guards
package contains 6 pieces that can be interconnected for larger trees.
What We Liked
- UV Resistant: it will not get faded over time.
- Reusable: when you are done with one tree, you can use it with another one.
- Can be interconnected
- Small in size
it has aesthetic design that will enhance the beauty of your tree and your hose. It will protect your tree from lawn mowers, rabbits, small animals and even pet urine.
6. Amgate Tree Trunk Protectors
it is made of lightweight plastic that will not change its shape even in the sun.
What We Liked
- Adaptability: you can connect several tree trunk protectors easily. If you want extra width, it will help you to do so.
- Reusable: you can use it more than once. Just unsnap two tabs and it is ready to be stored.
- Easy Using: using this tree trunk protector is super easy. Set the tree trunk protector around the tree then snap the two tabs into place. And it is ready to do its work.
- Multipurpose use
- Small in size
the 6 Pcs tree shield trunk protectors are 8 inches tall and 13.2 inches length. This is expandable that allows you to increase the diameter.
7. Jiggly Greenhouse Store Plastic Mesh Tree Guard Protector
|Comes in||36 inch and 48 inch- both have 4 inch diameter/5 Pack|
|Mesh Size||.50″ x .50″ (Ideal size to against animals)|
- Jiggly comes in needed Ties, light grey color and HDPE material that lasts long and good for tree trunk.
- Congenial mesh size allows tree to get proper ventilation and resist moisture.
What we liked:
- Height is perfect for tree to deter unlike any other trunk protectors
- Good for deer, squirrels and rabbits
- Pretty rigid tree guard against predators from chewing and rubbing
- Flexible UV-treated mesh tree guard and HDPE material protect against lawnmowers and weed trimmers.
- Easily blends with your plantation
- As usual, easy installation process that comes with five ties
- This leaves great space for the trunk to grow.
- Seems pretty pricey for UV plastic material and the number of spare of tree guards you receive. But, please note, price brings the value you received in return
There are some facts that should be considered before buying a tree guard for fruit trees
Expandable: tree grows by time; it does not get stuck when you set a tree trunk protector to it. So, naturally, trees expand and thus the tree guards should be expendable. Tree trunk protectors should expand at least 5 centimeters in to the ground and 20 centimeters high. It should also leave space for to circulate.
UV Resistant: it should be weather resistant; otherwise it will lose its color by time which will make the tree look unattractive.
Light-colored materials are good for trees. Dark or shiny materials (such as: aluminum) are not congenial at all since it absorbs heat and increases its vulnerability to front crack.
Should have enough room for the Tree to Grow: If possible leave enough room for the tree to grow while installing the Tree guard. There should be enough room to air circulate and sunlight to come otherwise it may trap enough moisture to damage the tree such as rot, disease to create unwanted insects.
Protective: it should protect the tree from insects, animals and also should protect from moisture.
Easy Installation: read out the process of installation and check whether it is easy or hard.
Size: different plastic trunk protectors have different sizes. Before buying know about the size of your tree and how much it might be expandable. Buy tree protectors according to it.
Know the area where you are going to use: Finally, according to the research paper of lrconline.com, Around residential areas tree barks are vulnerable to lawnmowers and grass trimmers. Besides, trees in the open field can be a victim of other animals like deer, voles, and mice.
Are tree protectors necessary?
If you can install the tree protector right way you can protect your tree from UV rays of sun, animals, trimmers etc.
Will tree protector stop a squirrel from climbing a tree?
No, it might discourage squirrels to climb up the tree, but tree protectors cannot stop them climbing tree.
Can I interlock to make the circle bigger?
Yes, for some tree protectors you can do it. But, there are few protectors which don’t let you to do so.
A plastic tree trunk protector can help you to minimize your problems regarding all these issues. It has ventilation holes that allows tree trunk to breathe. And thus the existence and growth of the tree is continued. Best tree guards also reduce the risk of moisture buildup. Moreover, it gives support when the tree trunk is weak and needs strength to stand in different weather condition.