Horses are designed to graze 24/7 but it is not always possible to provide a big pasture to them. Moreover, it is not healthy for them eat too much as a result the part of best hay nets for horses as slow feeder came in this picture.
Horses should eat small amounts but on a regular basis. About 15 to 30 pounds of hay should be divided into small meals for the whole day according to horse’s size. Hence, it can produce acidity and turn it to ulcer.
Before buying a slow feeder hay net do a little research so that you can purchase the best product for your horse. Keep these factors in mind before buying a slow feeder.
How Do You Slow Down a Horse Eating Hay?
Horses’ digestive system requires constant food throughout the whole day. But, this leads horses to become overweight which can cause serious health problems for them.
Since it comes 2nd on their recommended preferences to slow down your horse to feed hay net, thus According to NKC Equestrian Training website information:
A slow down feeder can be helpful to encourage ‘head down’ feeding, but also reduce the rate that the horse can consume their hay. There are a variety of products on the market, but I would recommend a purpose built version, rather than a DIY job for safety reasons.
And then hay nets help you to reduce the amount of your horses’ food consumption which also reduces the chance of many kinds of disease. Such as, heart and lung diseases, equine diabetes, laminitis in horses, digestive disorders, respiratory problems, strain on joints etc. Moreover, it reduces waste of food and money.
What To Consider Before Having A Slow Feeder
- Size of Slow Feeder Hay Net: there are different sizes available for slow feeder hay net in the market. Which one you will buy will depend on how many horses will use the feeder at once.
- Size of Holes: the average size of holes is about 1” to 1.5”. If the holes are big your horse will easily pull the hay and if the holes are small it really slows down their eating. If hay net is new for your horse it is recommended to buy hay net with 1.5” holes and 1” holes are recommended for those whose horses are already used to slow feeder hay net.
- Durability: durability is extremely important for slow feeders. As your horse will chew it constantly, you will need a slow feeder that is made of tough quality. And if the material is not good, your horse can easily tear it.
- Ease of use: these round slow feeder hay nets are big in size. That’s the reason a lot of hay needs to be installed in it. Do check the process of installation.
List of 5 Best Hay Nets For Horses
|Editor's Ranking||Editor's Choice||Editor's Rating||Instant Link|
|1||Tech Equestrian KNOTLESS||✪✪✪✪✪||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Texas Hay net||✪✪✪✪✪||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Tough1 Deluxe Round Bale||✪✪✪✪✪||Buy on Amazon|
|4||Freedom Feeder Mesh Net||✪✪✪✪☆||Buy on Amazon|
|5||Goodwin Netting||✪✪✪✪☆||Buy on Amazon|
1. Tech Equestrian KNOTLESS: Best Slow Feeder Hay Net For Horses
Specialty: it comes with a repair kit. There is a possibility of getting holes using the hay net over time since it is made of net not metal. But with the repair kit you can fix the holes easily.
What We Liked:
- The knotless net is easy on the horse’s mouth and gum.
- It is a 5mm thick hay net
- If necessary you will get one more repair kit
- Different sizes are available to choose from according to your need.
- It may have holes
Comes in thick and tough rugged hay net. The color is black and different sizes are available. You get two free repair kits in every purchase which saves your money.
2. Texas Hay net – Best Slow Feeders For Horses
Specialty: this Texas Hay net leaves zero waste.
What We Liked:
- Prevents rip
- Specially designed to last the hay 2 to 3 times longer
- It is constructed of American nylon mesh
- It has wide mouth that makes installation easy
- UV resistant
- Budget friendly
- Horses might manipulate the knot.
This bale feeder is a perfect choice when it comes to feeding the whole hard. It has 1.75″ openings and holds 4×4′ to 6×6′ round bales. It is easy to carry and holds a lot of hay.
3. Tough1 Deluxe Most Durable Slow Feed Hay Net
Specialty: Tough1 Deluxe Round Bale Slow Feed Hay Net is made of the strongest poly hay cord for longer wear.
What We Liked:
- Knotted style
- An entire round bale can fit inside it.
- Strong poly cord
- 1/8″ thick netting material
- 2”x 2” big opening for easy installation
- It is not recommended for the horses wearing shoes.
it is a 6’x6’ big round hay net. Its color is black. Now your horse can no longer pull big chunks.
3.1 Tough 1 Best Hay Nets For Horses
Specialty: it is such a large hay net that 3 to 4 horses can eat together.
What We Liked:
- It is a big 6×6 round bale net
- It has 2.5 in x 2.5 in big opening
- Made of durable black poly cord
- Does not stretch over time
- The holes could be made smaller.
Bottom Line: if you have 3 or 4 horses this hay net is for you. Your horse will love to eat from this hay net.
4. Freedom Slow Feed Hay Bags For Horses
Comes in three options: 1 inch for slow feeding, 1.5 inch for average feeding and 2 inch size mesh for aggressive eaters and for large horses. This is something we found very unique about this brand.
What we Liked:
Super durable material made it highly long lasting. Aside from hanging, you can keep it on the ground to feed the hay. Controls the feeding and helps to get hay as much as they need.
- Can hold 30 lbs of hay
- Comes with with 2 break away carabiners or repair cord for hanging
- price seems to very premium in compared to other competition.
Pay attention the mesh size carefully, depending on that, your Horse gets hay as much as it needs. Besides, it is recommended to have 2 inch mesh size bags for your horse which can hold 30 pounds of hay, though you can put lesser if you want.
5. Goodwin Netting Best Round Bale Hay Net
Specialty: Goodwin netting slow feeder hay net feeder is made from #48 commercial white nylon netting. Each strand is over 480 pound test.
What We Liked:
- Installation just takes few minutes
- It is reusable
- Big hay net; 3 horses can eat at a time.
- Holes are big; 2 inches.
Bottom Line: it is a 4 foot high by 5 foot wide (diameter) round hay bale. Though the holes are big it definitely slows down your horses consumption at least in half.
1. Do slow feed hay nets for horses damage horses’ teeth?
Answer: Hay nets are safe for teeth. The netting is soft. And the most important thing is, horses usually pull the hay out of the net. And still if your horse scraps his teeth on the net, you don’t need to worry.
2. Do I need to take precautions for hay nets for horses?
Answer: yes, slow feeding nets can sometimes get caught in the horses’ shoes, halters and blankets. And please make sure the rope of the net is not tied at the end. We recommend leaving the ends loose so that you don’t create any opening in the rope that might get caught on your horse.
It would be better if you don’t use a hay net for other livestock because they may chew on it and make holes. And if you do it, do check regularly. Lastly, the slow feeders are not commended for any animal with horns.
3. How should I introduce the most durable slow feed hay net to my horse?
Answer: for introducing the hay net with your horse at first you need to provide time. He will become accustomed to grazing from the hay net. You can keep some feed out of the net.
Remember one thing, if they are hungry and unable to graze from the net they might destroy the hay net. So at the beginning it is the best idea to have easy access to hay. They will explore the net and start grazing from it.
4. Canultra slow feed hay net be used on the ground?
Answer: it is highly recommended to place the hay net on the ground level. It helps the horses to push against something to get the last bit of hay. Moreover, it is a natural and healthy position for horses to feed from.
A slow feeder hay net helps you because it allows only a few bits of hay to take at a time. It holds hay for your horse to eat. Moreover, best hay nets for horses as slow feeders help healthy digestion and reduce feeding time anxiety. This invention is really a lifesaver for equine owners. Furthermore, net hay feeders are very effective since they are lightweight, easy to load.