Handrails are designed to act as a support structure when people climb stairs. If steps are too deep or too tall, it can cause people to trip if they are not watching, and smooth stone steps get slippery in the winter. Each year millions of accidents occur worldwide as a result of slips, falls and trips on stairways. Stairs that don’t have free standing handrails for outdoor steps can be dangerous for anyone, especially young and old people. And a stair railing is designed for the stairs for building a protective barrier to prevent such accidents. outdoor Steps.
Things to look at before you Buy Handrails for Stairs
For handrails for the outdoor steps, varieties of materials are available; wood, wrought iron, stainless steel and aluminum. Wood is a strong and durable material for a handrail and more popular for stairs. But, they need more maintenance than metal stair railings. Though wrought iron handrails add aesthetic appeal while also adding the safety of a handrail, the rough finish on the wrought iron handrails allows rust to form in the small pits on the surface. However, stainless steel is long-lasting, durable and easy to clean material but pricey. The other metal is aluminum. They don’t rust or corrode and make them durable and a long lasting choice. They can be cleaned by simple wipe down.
There are different shapes and designs for handrails for outdoor steps. Metal railings are available in a wide range of colors, and you can also get wood and composite railings in different finishes. It is a wise decision to go for the one that is sturdy and attractive at the same time.
To get a general idea of how much long handrail you need, count the number of steps on your stairway and multiply by 13”. If you want, you can add any extra length that may be needed at the top or bottom of your stairway. A staircase railing needs to be safe, sturdy and not too high. The height of the railing depends on the height of the steps, steepness of the staircase and size of the railings. The most common height for a railing is 38 inches (97 cm).
List of Best Free Standing Handrails for Outdoor Steps
|Editor's Ranking||Editor's Choice||Editor's Rating||Instant Link|
|1||Adjust-A-Gate||✪✪✪✪✪||Buy At Amazon|
|2||Mofeez Gate Corner||✪✪✪✪☆||Buy At Amazon|
|3||Homydom||✪✪✪✪☆||Buy At Amazon|
|4||Scottchen PRO||✪✪✪✪☆||Buy At Amazon|
|5||Kunzye||✪✪✪✪☆||Buy At Amazon|
|6||Nuvo Iron Anti Sag Kit||✪✪✪✪☆||Buy At Amazon|
|7||Qualward||✪✪✪☆☆||Buy At Amazon|
1. Happybuy Handrails for Outdoor Steps
- happybuy handrail has flexible heights. With screws connected, the height of this outdoor stair railing is changeable to suit steps of different sizes; 2, 4, 3,1 feet sizes.
What We Liked:
- The handrail fits various steps (1 or 2 or 3 which varies according to the size you order)
- It is constructed with real wrought iron.
- The smooth powder-coated surface with chic black allows you to clean it with water or cloth easily and quickly.
- It has a classic curly side design which makes it beautiful, delicate, and eye-catching.
- It is rust-proof and corrosion-proof.
- The kit includes everything you need to attach the rails and posts to the stairs.
- It is simple to install
- Comes in two color- black and white
- Instructions should be more detailed and it looks more cumbersome to follow the detail.
The wrought iron has thick solid bases which are more rigid and reliable then other materials. Its excellent load capacity provides a secure grab bar for you and your family saves from accidents. It’s stylish and elegant appearance provides perfect decoration for your stairs. Furthermore, this free standing handrails for outdoor steps only takes a few minutes to finish the effortless installation. This handrail for outdoor steps is ideal for gardens, residential buildings, porches, hotels, etc.
2. Metty Metal Exterior Handrails For Steps
- This is a heavy-duty handrail that can take loads above 600 lbs.
- comes in three colors; black, gray, and white
What We Liked:
- This is made of cast iron, heavy-duty steel structure makes it very strong, safe, and beautiful.
- The package includes all necessary accessories.
- Suitable few number steps handrail as well as for level surface.
- Installation is only a one-man job.
- Weather-resistant and corrosion-resistant.
- Super comfortable grip.
- it feels a little rough when you slide down hand on the rail.
- Before installation makes sure your anchor bolts hold or tighten the rail well. there has been some issues on that.
This Metty Metal handrail is fairly easy to install, looks great and is very sturdy. You can choose from three different colors. Both sides of the handrail of the stairs are curved. These modern outdoor handrails can be installed on steps for patio, porch, garden, residential building, commercial office building, hotel, garage etc.
3. Yamcyh Handrails for Outdoor Steps
- This Yamcyh handrail is rackable to a range of 0°to 45°.
- Comes in 3 and 4 feet options at this moment which is great for 1-3 and 1-4 steps. (it changes)
What We Liked:
- The handrail is made of real wrought Iron.
- You can paint it in the color you like.
- A friendly design for the old, child, disabled, after-surgery people and so on.
- Comes with detailed instructions.
- Perfectly fits on 1, 2, or 3 steps for outdoor stairs.
- Doesn’t have color options and comes in only black.
This is a slick and sturdy handrail that can be used in gardens, residential buildings, commercial office buildings, hotels, Garages etc. perfect for steps to the porch. This kit is complete and you don’t have to buy pieces.
4. VEVOR 2-3 Free Standing Handrails for Outdoor Steps
- The base trims are attached to a flower-shaped base plate that helps to cover screws and bolts.
- If you want something without curves and designs, we meant pretty straight forward, then this option is for you.
What We Liked:
- The handrail is adjustable ranging from the upright:0~45°.
- The handrail includes all necessary installation accessories.
- The handrail is provided with an 18 months warranty.
- Unlike other brands, it comes in three options
- Does not easily rust, corrode, crack or bend.
- Easy to clean.
- Stable support with 165lbs load bearing.
- Provided anchors and bolts are not strong.
This is a rust proof handrail with baking varnish technology which keeps it smooth. It is easy to install with the provided installation accessories. It is suitable for villas, cottages, apartments, official buildings, gardens, hotels and restaurants. The curved hook design of the banister is eye- catching and artistic.
5. Alyan & Jammsy Store Outdoor Handrails for Concrete Steps
- Alyan & Jammsy outdoor handrails are made of 304 stainless steel, highly resistant to corrosion.
What We Liked:
- Everything is pre-drilled, so installation is a breeze.
- Easy-grip and fit your palm very well.
- The middle rail can be adjusted to fit the different heights and widths of the steps.
- Easy to clean and maintain.
- Can withstand up to 330lb of thrust.
- Not a budget friendly option.
This is stylish, elegant, and sturdy. It comes with different styles to choose from. It can be installed on concrete, wood, brick, mixed steps, etc. and will last for many years. As the surface is smooth, cleaning the handrail is easy.
6. CHR Outdoor 2-Step Outdoor Handrail
- It has a modular design that allows you to extend the railing and secure it to the wall with the handrail extensions.
What We Liked:
- Different sizes are available to choose from according to your outdoor steps.
- All the parts are included in the package.
- One person can do the installation.
- Budget-friendly price.
- Heavy-duty and durable.
- It lacks assembly instruction.
This CHR outdoor handrail is made in America. You can also add additional sections of railing for your entire patio or backyard. It has Phosphate pre- treatment and powder coat finish. It is resistant to UV against fade, cracks, light scratches, hot/cold, rust.
7. Flyskip Wrought Iron Hand Railing For Steps
- The height adjustment option allows you to adjust freely according to the distance of the steps, adjustable range is 0-45 degrees.
What We Liked:
- This is made of wrought iron finished by iron paint, welding and spraying.
- Three colors are available to choose from; black, grey and white.
- It comes with wrenches and screws required for installation
- Durable and rust-proof.
- Elegant and beautiful ergonomic design.
- Easy to install.
- Finishing is not so good.
The Flyskip handrail is built well, it is strong and sturdy. It is really a budget friendly option amongst the handrails. It comes with everything that you will require for installation. They are user friendly and suitable for one to three steps. It is perfect for gardens, hotels, commercial buildings, etc.
8. Atemou Wrought Iron Handrails for Concrete Steps
- its heavy duty bar can take loads above 400 lbs.
What We Liked:
- This is a suitable 1 or 5 step handrail, and also suitable for level surface.
- All the necessary accessories come with the hand railing.
- Smooth surface and does not hurt the hands.
- weather-resistant and corrosion-resistant.
- Super easy to install.
- The instructions could be detailed.
Atemou transitional handrail is made of cast iron. The grip is comfortable and beautifully shaped at the same time. The surface is high-temperature baking paint instead of spray paint. It will serve you for a long time. Installation is just a one-man job.
FAQ Related to Single or Multiple Step Handrails
Do you need a handrail on both sides of the stairs?
Answer: Unless your staircase is wider than a meter, you won’t need to fit a handrail on both sides of the stairs.
Which side of the stairs should a handrail be on?
Answer: There is no law that states which side of the stairs a handrail should be fitted to so this is personal preference.
How much time does it take to install a handrail?
Answer: It differs from models to models. Usually outdoor handrails take 2-3 hours to install.
What are some advantages of wrought iron hand railing for steps?
Wrought iron handrails are a great choice for any staircase. They are stylish and attractive, while also very functional. If you are looking for a railing that is going to last a long time, wrought iron is the best option.
Wrought iron handrails can be easily customized to match any design style or color palette. They can also be made to fit any size staircase, which makes them perfect for homes with an eclectic mix of architectural styles or those with irregular shaped staircases.
What are the disadvantages of wrought iron hand railing for steps?
The disadvantages of wrought iron hand railing for steps are that they can be expensive and difficult to install.
How should a homeowner decide what type of hand rails to use on their stairs?
Hand rails are a valuable safety feature for homeowners. They can help people avoid falls and accidents on the stairs. There are many types of hand rails that homeowners can choose from. The type they choose depends on the height of their stairs and the amount of space they have to work with. Some handrails can be installed onto the wall, while others need to be mounted in between two walls or onto a railing system.
A homeowner should decide what type of handrail to use based on their needs and preferences. They should also consider their budget and where they want to install it on their staircase before making a decision.
Free standing handrails for outdoor steps provide support and stability while climbing up or down. During rain, snow, ice, and sleet, flooring surfaces can become slippery and dangerous. By having a supporting rail installed alongside your outdoor stairs, you are helping to prevent injuries and death from occurring. Stairs should have a handrail on at least one side if they are less than 1m wide. Moreover, the front steps will enhance your home’s curb appeal. Therefore, choosing the right handrail for stairs in your home, office, or any building space is crucial.